Sunday, September 28, 2014

Network Laws and Information in 5 Years

In class we learned about a few network “laws” or in other words, concepts about the value of a network.

We can all agree that generally, a larger network with more users will be more valuable (in regards to advertising dollars- something that I want to focus on as an Advertising major). So a wide-area network will probably have more value to advertisers than a local area network.

Not only does a network gain value when a user is connected to it, but there is also value when a user connects with other users. However, I do not think that this value is exponential. Therefore, I disagree with Reed’s Law. On the other side of the spectrum, Sarnoff’s Law doesn’t even consider the value of users connecting to one another, so this law is lacking as well.

Overall, even though there are flaws, I do think that Metcalfe’s Law is probably the best one. This law considers all potential connections/relationships on a network. What I like about this law is that it shows how many connections could be made possible. But if someone was using Metcalfe’s Law to analyze a network’s value, they should strongly consider the fact that not all connections will occur.

Right now, people gain information through several sources, including wirelessly. It is very hard to say how people will get information 5 years from now. Maybe a new technology will replace the Internet in the next five years! 5 years ago I did not expect that I would ever have a smartphone, even when iphones had just been put on the market. I viewed smartphones as something with many flaws (touchscreens seemed so finicky, why have all that on your phone when you can have several devices that do specialized tasks, like a nice digital camera). I have learned not to be surprised by new technologies. When my dad was in college, he studied graphic design. His degree was almost immediately made obsolete when he graduated because shortly after the new computer programs for graphic designing were invented. Huge technological changes can occur very quickly!

If I use my imagination to dream up our future in 5 years, I would say that maybe people didn’t use small cellphones at all anymore and phones gradually became about the size of an ipad/tablet. For some reason, the larger screen sizes seem to be the biggest trend lately for smartphones. Maybe talking on the phone will be more of a separate entity, like a similar idea to bluetooths.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that technology can change rapidly and that it's hard to know exactly what the future holds. I found it interesting that you shared your dad's experiences...my dad went through almost the same exact thing. He was going to school to be an architect and shortly after he graduated, a computer program was invented that basically did his job for him.

    He had to re-learn all his skills simply because of an advancement in technology. It's fascinating that these laws talk about the effects/power of social networking, but never really mention what they might be taking away from people (in our case, it was our dads education!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayley,
    I enjoyed your commentary on Reed's and Sarnoff's laws and the flaws within them. In a changing technological environment, it is hard to imagine a network philosophy that does not take in account any user interaction the way that Sarnoff's law does. However, I think there are many broadcasting stations that do not think about inter connectivity at all. They are too focused on the amount of viewers they have so they can make money from advertisements. Is this something you see changing in the future with the integration of Reed's law and its connection with social networks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Haley, what's up?
    Anyway, I completely agree with you about Metcalfe's Law. To me it embodies network communication the best because the people are actually connected compared to Sarnoff's Law and Reed's Law (Reed's Law, while they are connected, also involves a lot of faux connections). I also like what your thinking about information in five years. The possibilities are endless when thinking about how we'll get information. I remember when I thought the old Razr phones were the coolest thing ever, and now those things are obsolete in today's society. I know I would really like to see more hands-free technology!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that Metcalfe's law is the most accurate! I also like that it shows how many connections could possibly be made and how important they are to the value of the network. I agree with you that it is also important to realize that not all of the connections could occur.

    I think it is interesting that you feel as if the iPad/tablet size will be used as a smartphone because usually technology tends to slim down! It is almost like things have gotten so small that they have no way to get any smaller. Also, I feel as if the bigger things are a trend, like you said, so even if people aren't fond of them then they might use them anyway just to be trendy.

    ReplyDelete